B-1 in Lieu of H-1B Visa

B-1 in Lieu of H-1B visas are a more temporary version of an H-1B visa for specialty occupations, and it allows individuals to partake in more day-to-day activities than a B-1 visa would normally allow.

Eligibility Requirements

Eligibility for a B-1 in Lieu of H-1B visa is basically the same as eligibility for an H-1B visa. See “H-1B Visa, Eligibility Requirements.” Like B-1 applicants, individuals petitioning for this type of visa must also show that they have strong ties to their home country and intend to return upon the conclusion of their temporary entry into the United States.

Validity Period

Unlike H-1B visas, B-1 in Lieu of H-1B visas may only be granted for a maximum of six months. Like B-1 visas, the visa will be granted for a time that is specified in the petition as necessary to accomplish the task for which the individual enters the United States.

Important Considerations

Spouses and children of B-1 in Lieu of H-1B visa holders are not eligible to obtain a dependent visa, but they may petition separately for B-1 or B-2 status.


Call us at (856) 222-0130